2008 model GS800 ADVENTURE
GS800 known problems / recalls
Nothing major to worry about & if your bike has been serviced by the supplying dealer, they should already have checked these (but maybe not if you used a different dealer)
1. Front axel - some bikes have in-correct ground front axel which is a major issue (mine was one of them!!! now replaced.)
BMW agents can easily check this with a special tool which BMW have supplied for this purpose. If it's the correct thickness - all is fine, if it's not then BMW must replace the front axel. (as per my bike)
2. Chain - BMW are aware that their chain is very poor quality (sourced from a not so top quality Czech supplier!!??) If it breaks in Europe, they'll replace under warranty so no major problem so long as you're A/ In warranty B/ In Europe
Once you go out of either, I'd replace it with a 'DID' one straight away. 116 links x 520 p (keep a spare one if you venture beyond Europe)
3. As per any BMW the EWS ignition module is a weakness & can leave bikes stranded. (again, we carry a spare one - just in case) / also covered under bikes warranty.
4. Water hose on right side - BMW recall to fit a larger hose (this should have been done on a service / recall)
5. Recall to slightly modify computer / ignition, some bikes were known to stall. I never had a problem before or after this recall!
That's it, Nothing much / nothing BMW probably not already checked for you?
Basically, The 800's about perfect for our kind of touring.
Useful 800GS touring extras
Motorbike GPS Sat Nav - we run Garmin zumo 550's (although the gradles break eventually!!)
Touring GPS maps, Europe, World options & how to use; Garmin Europe mapping now covers all of the sections we tour throughout Eastern europe,
in good detail.
Metal motorcycle lugggage: The BMW metal luggage works quite well. Nice feature is the ignition coded keys.
Strong chains: scrap the weak BMW one and fit a 'DID' - 11,000 miles = no problems at all "DID"
Tyres: Runs well on off road tyres & easy to fit yourself
Tyre changing, Tyre specs, sizes, options
BMW 800 GS Tyres:
Rim, front 2.15 x 21" Tyres, front 90/90 - 21 54V
Rim, rear 4.25 x 17" Tyres, rear 150/70 - 17 69V
Crash bar options & fitting, We have Metal-M's fitted - we're tricky to fit but do the job, having saved the bike from a few tumbles in the kazak-sand!!!!